Select Page
Burda 6829 Pattern review

Burda 6829 Pattern review

Our 10th wedding anniversary was fast approaching and I thought of making a beautiful dress to wear to dinner at our anniversary mini-moon. I remember passing by my local fabric store and I had some time to spare which led me to the pattern books. I passed through quite many of them but the Burda 6829 stood out for me and I knew it was the one.

Pattern description

Burda 6829 is a multi-sized dress pattern that goes from size 8 up to size 18.  And it comes in two options A and B of which the only difference between the two is the length from the waist to the hem. Option B is 3 inches or 8 cms longer than option A.

This Pattern is fitted dress with waist gathers on one side which makes it rather flattering. It is recommended for a 4-way stretch fabric which makes fitting it much easier compared to woven fabrics.

Size made

From the pattern sizing recommendations, I was meant to make size 36 /10 whoever when I read recommendations from others who had sewed up this dress, they all seemed to recommend sizing down to the next size. I cut up the smallest size (size 34/8) and it was my perfect size.  And I also went for option B which slightly longer as I found it more appealing.

The Making

The instructions were easy to follow and It comes together quite fast as it is with most knit fabrics if you are able to sew it up with an overlocking machine /serger.  

The interfacing used for the neckline seemed to have been of concern of most people who had sewed up this dress as it kept popping out since it was not anchored anywhere inside the dress. So I decided to omit it and instead folded the neckline over once and sewed it down using my coverstitch machine.

Fabric Used

I used this gorgeous knit velvet fabric in wine from Minerva Crafts which sewed up really well. And it also washed very well, however, extra care was taken while ironing it (I guess it is the case with most velvets) as it almost melted on me before I had lowered heat of my iron.

Pattern Alterations

I made a sway back adjustment on the pattern piece.

I omitted the neckline interfacing.

My Conclusion

The dress came out really well and it honestly exceeded my expectations and of course the hubby’s too.  I was really chuffed about it. I can confidently say that this is the most fluttering and smartest dress I have ever made in my less than 2 years of dressmaking.

I Plan to sew up this pattern again and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a smart occasion dress to wear.

Subscribe to my Newsletter

Pauline Alice  Patterns Rosari Skirt Pattern Review

Pauline Alice Patterns Rosari Skirt Pattern Review

Pattern Description:

I had been eyeing the Rosari skirt Pattern for such a long time until I decided to buy it as I felt it was a missing piece in my wardrobe. Now that I own two of them it is clear that I needed them. They have already had a lot of wear in such a short period I have had them. I bought a pdf copy of the Rosari skirt from Pauline Alice Website as it is more convenient for me to buy and print it off immediately.

This is an A-line button-down skirt which comes in two lengths; a mini and midi. It is quite a versatile skirt which can be worn with almost everything. This pattern also comes with 4 pockets options: A rounded with a coin pocket, B Patch pocket, C Invented pleated pocket with a flap and D Zipped pocket. And this pattern is recommended for medium weight fabrics.

Pattern Sizing:

This is a multi-size pattern which comes in size 34 up to size 48. I made both of them in size 36 and the pattern run true to size. I did not need to blend any sizes to get the right fit but cut up the recommended size as per my body measurements.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

The instructions were well-written and quite easy to follow.  The two skirts I made had 2 different pocket options where one had a rounded pocket and the other with a Zipper. The rounded pocket option was the easier one to put together as the Zipped one called for more precision which inserting the Zippers.

Fabric Used:

And I made the Zipper option out of an olive suede fabric which I picked up from the Shuttle (fabric store in Shipley). This fabric sewed up well too however, extra care was needed while ironing it as it was quite sensitive to high heat.

For the rounded pocket option, I used a navy corduroy which I bought from B&M Fabric shop here in Leeds, UK. I sewed up beautifully and it ironed up well too.

Pattern alterations:

The only alteration I made to this pattern was on the length of the skirt. I was neither on the mini nor the midi so I decided to reduce the length of the midi by 4 inches as opposed to adding the required length to the mini version. This is mostly because if I had added the 3inches to the mini I could easily have messed up the hem shaping or changed the shape of the skirt. 

Conclusion:

I love my two rosari skirts as I get to wear them with many other items in my wardrobe. And I have not taken them off since I made them. I plan to make many more and I would highly recommend this pattern.

Pin It on Pinterest