When the Deer and Doe Sirocco jumpsuit came out early in the year, it was embraced by a number of people in the sewing community. I was not about to miss out on the opportunity considering how much I love jumpsuits. I decided to sew up this amazing jumpsuit out of a knit fabric which I was gifted to by Fabrics for all. Fabrics for all is on a family-owned fabric store located in Leeds with an online presence too. And as a member of their makers’ team, I receive fabric every month in exchange for a blog post.
Jersey fabric with 60 per cent stretch is recommended for this pattern. I chose this gorgeous colourful viscose fabric for the jumpsuit. I was under the assumption that viscose jersey is a lightweight fabric. However, this particular one is medium weight and quite flowy too.
This Fabric sewed up well without any issues on both my sewing machine and overlocker. And It was such a pleasure working with it because it washed and ironed pretty well too.
The sirocco pattern is a mock-wrap jumpsuit which comes in two versions: version A a jumpsuit which features tapered legs and version B which is a romper. It comes in a number of sizes ranging from 34 to 46. And I cut out size 36 for the bodice which I blended into size 38 to both the band and trouser pieces. In hindsight, I should have cut out size 36 throughout the pieces.
I sewed up the Sirocco jumpsuit using mostly my overlocker and only used my sewing machine to reinforce a few seams. I also used my coverstitch machine for the hems which sewed up really well too.
After I had put the jumpsuit together I realised that that the fit was quite big on me. And I spent a considerable amount of time adjusting almost every piece before achieving the best fit.
Made a swayback adjustment to the back bodice piece.
Shortened the trouser legs by 3 inches considering the hem is meant to be folded over. I preferred to have mine coming up to the ankle which I found to be smarter.
Took out a considerable amount of excess fabric from almost every side seam and some from the inner leg seam too.
If for any reason you prefer watching the review instead, here is the youtube video where I review this jumpsuit.
The finished project
Despite the numerous alterations I made, it came out exactly as it appears on the pattern in the end. I love the final fit I achieved and I can say that this jumpsuit is a secret pyjama. It is not tight in any areas while keeping a good fit and look.
I will definitely be making another Sirocco jumpsuit since I have transferred all the alterations to the pattern pieces. And my recommendation to anyone planning to sew up this jumpsuit is to consider sizing down if using fabric that has more than 60% stretch.
I popped into Fabrics for All once again with the need to find fabric for my monthly make. Fabrics for all is a family-owned fabric shop located in Armley, Leeds which also has an online presence too. I joined the Fabric for All maker’s team where I am given fabric in exchange for a blog post to review that fabric.
If you know a thing about me, you would know that I love jumpsuits. So I popped into Fabric for All to pick up fabric to sew up the New Look 6446 Jumpsuit which was also meant to be my entry into the ‘sew together for summer 2019’ challenge. And the challenge this year was to sew up a jumpsuit, however, this particular the jumpsuit was not ready by deadline day. So I decided to enter the toile instead which made me a winner of one of the prizes.
For the pattern I had in mind, I needed a stable woven fabric which was still light enough for a summer outfit. I picked up a 100% cotton fabric which is a beautiful print with green and white birds on a black background. I know a black background may not sound like a summer fabric choice but that’s before you see the fabric in person. It was such a pleasure to work with this fabric which washed pretty well and ironed well too.
New Look 6446 Pattern
The pattern I choose was the New look 6446 which I picked up last year but I was not sure I would sew it up any time soon. As we can all agree that ‘the big four’ patterns are not the easiest to sew up and you come out with a well-fitting garment.
This pattern comes in four variations: a maxi dress, a knee-length dress, a playsuit and a jumpsuit. All four variations have the same bodice which features princess seams, a squared neckline, thick straps and an invisible zipper. It also comes with a belt strap which helps to define the waist.
This pattern comes in sizes 8 to 18 and per my measurements, I was supposed to cut out size 8 at the bust and size 10 for both the waist and hip. As we know the big four patterns come with a lot of ease added, so I decided to use the finished garment measurements instead and cut it out in a size 8.
I first sewed up a toile in a rather cheaper fabric before cutting into the beautiful fabric. And I found that the bodice was a bit roomy so I decided to take out some amount at the side seams. However, the trouser piece fitted pretty well at both the waist and the hip area.
The sewing process was pretty much straight-forward and I did not need to make any major alterations to this pattern. Of course, the invisible zipper is never for the faint-hearted but I am getting better at it.
The finished project
I love the finished jumpsuit which is exactly as it appears on the pattern. I am certain I will be sewing up a few more jumpsuits or playsuits from this pattern as I have defined the fit and I have less to worry about.
Thank you for stopping by and thank you Fabrics for all for the fabric gift.
Josephine is an entrepreneur, blogger, public health professional who loves sewing, baking and is passionate about a healthy and natural lifestyle.