Select Page
Deer and Doe Sirocco Jumpsuit Sewing Pattern Review

Deer and Doe Sirocco Jumpsuit Sewing Pattern Review

When the Deer and Doe Sirocco jumpsuit came out early in the year, it was embraced by a number of people in the sewing community. I was not about to miss out on the opportunity considering how much I love jumpsuits. I decided to sew up this amazing jumpsuit out of a knit fabric which I was gifted to by Fabrics for all. Fabrics for all is on a family-owned fabric store located in Leeds with an online presence too. And as a member of their makers’ team, I receive fabric every month in exchange for a blog post.

Deer and Doe Sirocco  jumpsuit

The Fabric

Jersey fabric with 60 per cent stretch is recommended for this pattern. I chose this gorgeous colourful viscose fabric for the jumpsuit. I was under the assumption that viscose jersey is a lightweight fabric. However, this particular one is medium weight and quite flowy too.

 deer and doe Sirocco jumpsuit

This Fabric sewed up well without any issues on both my sewing machine and overlocker. And It was such a pleasure working with it because it washed and ironed pretty well too.

Fabric recommendations for the Sirocco jumpsuit

The Pattern

The sirocco pattern is a mock-wrap jumpsuit which comes in two versions: version A a jumpsuit which features tapered legs and version B which is a romper. It comes in a number of sizes ranging from 34 to 46. And I cut out size 36 for the bodice which I blended into size 38 to both the band and trouser pieces. In hindsight, I should have cut out size 36 throughout the pieces.

Sirocco jumpsuit

The making

I sewed up the Sirocco jumpsuit using mostly my overlocker and only used my sewing machine to reinforce a few seams. I also used my coverstitch machine for the hems which sewed up really well too.

After I had put the jumpsuit together I realised that that the fit was quite big on me. And I spent a considerable amount of time adjusting almost every piece before achieving the best fit.

Alterations

  • Made a swayback adjustment to the back bodice piece.
  • Shortened the trouser legs by 3 inches considering the hem is meant to be folded over. I preferred to have mine coming up to the ankle which I found to be smarter.
  • Took out a considerable amount of excess fabric from almost every side seam and some from the inner leg seam too.

If for any reason you prefer watching the review instead, here is the youtube video where I review this jumpsuit.

The finished project

Despite the numerous alterations I made, it came out exactly as it appears on the pattern in the end. I love the final fit I achieved and I can say that this jumpsuit is a secret pyjama. It is not tight in any areas while keeping a good fit and look.

Deer and doe Sirocco jumpsuit

I will definitely be making another Sirocco jumpsuit since I have transferred all the alterations to the pattern pieces. And my recommendation to anyone planning to sew up this jumpsuit is to consider sizing down if using fabric that has more than 60% stretch.

Thank you for stopping by…

Deer and Doe Sirocco Jumpsuit
Burda 6829 Pattern review

Burda 6829 Pattern review

Our 10th wedding anniversary was fast approaching and I thought of making a beautiful dress to wear to dinner at our anniversary mini-moon. I remember passing by my local fabric store and I had some time to spare which led me to the pattern books. I passed through quite many of them but the Burda 6829 stood out for me and I knew it was the one.

Pattern description

Burda 6829 is a multi-sized dress pattern that goes from size 8 up to size 18.  And it comes in two options A and B of which the only difference between the two is the length from the waist to the hem. Option B is 3 inches or 8 cms longer than option A.

This Pattern is fitted dress with waist gathers on one side which makes it rather flattering. It is recommended for a 4-way stretch fabric which makes fitting it much easier compared to woven fabrics.

Size made

From the pattern sizing recommendations, I was meant to make size 36 /10 whoever when I read recommendations from others who had sewed up this dress, they all seemed to recommend sizing down to the next size. I cut up the smallest size (size 34/8) and it was my perfect size.  And I also went for option B which slightly longer as I found it more appealing.

The Making

The instructions were easy to follow and It comes together quite fast as it is with most knit fabrics if you are able to sew it up with an overlocking machine /serger.  

The interfacing used for the neckline seemed to have been of concern of most people who had sewed up this dress as it kept popping out since it was not anchored anywhere inside the dress. So I decided to omit it and instead folded the neckline over once and sewed it down using my coverstitch machine.

Fabric Used

I used this gorgeous knit velvet fabric in wine from Minerva Crafts which sewed up really well. And it also washed very well, however, extra care was taken while ironing it (I guess it is the case with most velvets) as it almost melted on me before I had lowered heat of my iron.

Pattern Alterations

I made a sway back adjustment on the pattern piece.

I omitted the neckline interfacing.

My Conclusion

The dress came out really well and it honestly exceeded my expectations and of course the hubby’s too.  I was really chuffed about it. I can confidently say that this is the most fluttering and smartest dress I have ever made in my less than 2 years of dressmaking.

I Plan to sew up this pattern again and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a smart occasion dress to wear.

Subscribe to my Newsletter

Pin It on Pinterest