We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
The Rhapsody is another summer dress I whipped up last week in a YouTube collaboration with two other amazing ladies and sewists. The Rhapsody sewing pattern is a rather older pattern of Love Notions which has updated recently. During this process, a dress option was added in addition to the blouse and the sizes were increased too.
Here is the Rhapsody dress pattern review video.
I have recently joined the Love Notions’ team as ambassador which is really exciting. I have been a pattern tester with them for the last two years and I have a positive experience with most of their patterns.
The Rhapsody is a versatile top and dress pattern featuring nine sleeve options. It is drafted for lightweight and drapey woven fabrics making it perfect for a summer wardrobe. It features a flattering curved hem on both the blouse and dress pattern. The neckline is finished with self-made bias tape which may include ties for additional detail.
- Size range XS-5X
- Full bust pieces included
- Blouse & Dress views
- Curved hem on both dress and top.
- Nine sleeve options:
- 3/4 length with cuff
- 3/4 length with flare
- 3/4 length bishop
- Full-length bishop
This pattern is recommended for lightweight and drapey woven fabrics such as crepe, rayon challis, voile, cotton lawn, peachskin, 100% rayon gauze, silk and chiffon.
I used a crinkle viscose (Rayon) fabric for my dress which I bought from Fabrics for All. It was was both lightweight and drapey and stable to sew up too.
I sewed up the dress version in size XS and I went with the cap sleeves option. I can say that this pattern is not for a complete beginner but worth a try for a confident one.
The making entails sewing gathers at the front bodice that are seamed into a lined yoke which runs to the back. And this back yoke connects to a back piece. A buritto method is used to conceal the yoke seams, however, a video tutorial for this is included with the pattern.
The pattern recommends sewing all the side seams using a french seam which would give a neat finish with lightweight fabrics. However, I sewed out mine with a straight stitch and finished the seams with an overlocker instead. It was perfect for the fabric I chose and it was a much faster option for me.
The other tricky part during the making process was both the making and attaching the self-made bias tape. This is because the neckline is finished with a bias tape which is made from the same dress fabric. The bias tape is meant to remain visible and also forms the ties on the dress. I had to acquire a bias tape kit to make it easier.
There are just two alterations I made to this pattern and one of which i make most times.
I made a sway back adjustment to the back bodice which is common to most of my makes.
Secondly, I took out a total of 2 inches from the bodice and skirt pieces after sewing them together and before I made the elastic casing. This was because the waist seam was falling very low from my natural waistline. If I didn’t takeout that extra fabric, I would have had a lot of fabric drape over the elasticated waistline (a look I was not keen on). With that adjustment, the hem came up to my knees which was more flattering.
The Finished Garment
Honestly, when this pattern was recommended for the collaboration, i was on the fence about it. I was not sure i would love it since the dress option was new and few people had sewed it up yet. I am proud to report that i love the final outcome after making the necessary alterations. Here is to more rhapsody tops and dresses with all the 9 sleeve options. 🙂
Thank you for stopping by. xx